Thursday 24 April 2014

April Guest Educator - Debbie Burns of USA!





Hello again everyone!  How are you all today?  Things are going SO WELL this month at Scrap Around The World - we are sitting on EIGHTY ENTRIES so far this month!  Woohoo & thank you!!  It makes me VERY HAPPY when all we do here is appreciated & enjoyed, & it spurs me on to keep providing inspiration for the worldwide scrappy community so thanks peeps!!

This month we welcome Debbie Burns as our Guest Educator!  Debbie has played along with us a few times & creates very pretty canvas works, one of which we are showcasing here today.  Last month Debbie was placed 2nd on our Wall of Fame & the month prior (February) her lovely work caught our eye & she was selected as a future educator.

So here she is!


Hi everyone, Debbie here with you today!  
What a thrill to be invited as Guest Educator for Scrap Around The World
 & to share with you my techniques in creating a canvas!


I live in a small rural town in the state of Maryland, about an hour's drive from Washington, DC. I've been scrapbooking for 14 years & love the creative side of me that translates into my projects. Last year I tried my hand at creating using a canvas along with mixed media & fell in love with the craft. There are no boundaries & the sky is the limit! You can see more of my work on my blog http://lovelifeslittlepleasures.blogspot.com/.  I would love a visit!!





1.  I started with a 9 x 12 canvas &randomly added some
 torn stripes of paper from Bo Bunny's Country Garden.






2.  I then covered the canvas with some gesso & after it
 dried I colored some of the canvas with crayon pastels, 
gelatos & randomly added some drywall tape then
 stenciled using modeling paste &various masks.





3. I wasn't thrilled with the crayon pastels, thinking the 
colors looked washed out, so I added some more gesso
followed by some water colors & pastel inks.  Lastly
 I randomly stamped using various stamps.





 4.  Next I tore some strips of washi tape, placed them
 on the canvas then covered them lightly with gesso.





5.  I then added some more stenciling using the Tim Holtz 
Doily mask together with some modelling paste then 
inked over it once dry, using some cream ink.





6.  Lastly I added my flowers & embellishments & was done!


Here are a few close ups.  
Why not give a canvas a try? 
 As you can see it's really not that hard when broken down
 into simple steps is it?  SATW allows canvases 8 x 8 inches or larger.


A lot of older paper collections can be transformed
 using a light layer of gesso & some misting or inking.




Supplies used :-


9x12 canvas
Stencils/Masks: Tim Holtz, The Crafters Workshop
Gesso, Modelling Paste
Prima Chalk Fluid Ink
Drywall Tape
Watercolor Paints
Pastel Crayons
Washi Tape
Stamps - My Mind's Eye, Kaisercraft, Prima
Faber Castell Gelatos
Bo Bunny Country Garden papers & embellishments
Prima Flowers



Ooooh just look at all those yummy supplies!! 
 Makes my heart do a little flippity flip! 
 You can keep the shoes - just give me the stamps!!!

THANK YOU DEBBIE for creating this beautiful piece especially 
for us this month!  Please remember to leave some encouragement
for Debbie as she ventures (very successfully) into this new realm
of mixed media canvas making!!  

Just  ONE WEEK LEFT to enter our challenge this month so
come along anyone that's been too busy.  Just get cracking
& hopefully with all the inspiration you find here the ideas will
flow!  See you all soon with a VIDEO TUTORIAL up next!!



16 comments:

Paula Calvanico said...

Lovely! Thanks for sharing and showing so clearly now you created each layer :)

Helen you offer so much by way of inspiration with all the guest designers as well as your dt :) I love coming by to see just what goodness is being offered.

Paula

Gayle Price said...

Love your very soft and pretty canvas Debbie, and your fabulous 'step by step,' where every thing you have done has been so perfectly and clearly explained and labelled. A great way to demonstrate and encourage others to try mixed media and canvas creations. What a great guest educator you are ! Thanks for joining us at SATW this month.

Terhi Koskinen said...

Such a sweet canvas Debbie!!!
And I love see your art in progress, to see in which order do you create your piece of art :)

Lizzy Hill said...

I loooove your photo tutorial....watching the building up of layers is really interesting....fabulous step by step & gorgeous result....those stitching stamps...YUM!!!

Lizzyc said...

Beautiful canvas, thanks for the step by steps, it was wonderful to watch the canvas come together!

Jean said...

LOVE your canvas! Thanks so much for the step by step! Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

Wow Debbie!!! Your canvas is gorgeous and the layering process looks so fun!!! Love it!!

Lisa said...

Just stunning work Debbie! Great tutorial!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS Debbie!! I loveeeeeeee it!!

Di Garling said...

Another magnificent masterpiece Debbie. Thanks so much for sharing your creative process with us. It is always great to see how it all builds up, layer by layer. Cheers Di

Brandi Matos said...

Stunning canvas Debbie!!! Always a fan of your work!!! Thanks so much for sharing :-)

Tina Ollett said...

Thanks for sharing Debi....love this canvas....gorgeously beautiful!

Barb Craft said...

Wow Debbie! What an incredible canvas! I loved seeing the steps you used to get to the final product! It makes me want to run to my studio and start playing!! GORGEOUS work!!

Tusia Lech said...

Beautiful canvas! I love the way you prepared your tutorial - with text on each photo. Thanks so much for sharing!

Erica said...

Oh so shabby chic - LOVE it! Thanks for sharing your step by step photos! What a beautiful project.

Robyn Wood said...

Gorgeous canvas Debbie, it turned out beautifully. So many lovely layers! I love how you have broken down the steps to make it easier for beginners.