Tuesday 24 September 2013

Canvas Tutorial from Lisa Griffith!




*View our current challenge HERE - only 5 days left to get your entries in!!*

Yup one of our favourite regular players {and past winner!} has sent in a lovely CANVAS tutorial to share with you!

{yes you can make a canvas for your entry as long as it is a minimum of 8 inches square}.

  ENJOY & remember to leave some love for dear Lisa!


"My name is Lisa Griffith & I live in the US with my husband of 13 years & our 7 year old son Liam. I have been scrap booking since my son was born but it is within the last year that it has developed into my passion! I love it so much because it combines my love of photography & my love of all things vintage, & having time to express myself creatively is so relaxing & rewarding. 

One of my favourite things to do is to go to estate sales and antique markets to hunt for treasures such as vintage photographs and magazines, old postcards and letters, sewing notions, or bits of old lace that I can incorporate into my layouts. 

My style is feminine, shabby & distressed, I like my designs to have an antique worn look like an old tattered book & I love using lots of inks & flowers. I have helped design kits for The Scrapbook Diaries & I have recently started my brand new blog!  I am so excited to share my tutorial with you here today!'

--------------------------------------------------------------------


This is what Lisa has to say!  "Anyone who is new to doing a canvas & hesitant about it 
- no need to be!  It is much like creating a mixed media layout, with the same mediums
 & techniques, just a different format. So here are the steps:-

Step 1.  Choose your photo & your theme then gather your materials together. 
I chose a beach theme & photo from my recent vacation. 
I gathered up shells from the beach but also cheated a little bit and bought some!

Materials List:-

12x12 canvas
Stencil/Mask {mine is from Prima}
Gesso, Modelling Paste & Gel Medium {I used Liquitex}
 Some pieces of lace & cheesecloth
White Acrylic Paint
Various mists {I used Tattered Angels}
different seashells, acrylic
Various embellishments {I used wood pieces from KaiserCraft,
 Prima flowers & crystals}


Step 2. Prime your canvas with a thin layer of gesso & let
 dry naturally or dry off using your heat/embossing gun.


Step 3. Using your mask apply a thick layer of modelling paste randomly, in
various areas on your canvas & let it dry, either naturally or using your heat gun.


Step 4.  Adhere pieces of fabric or lace plus torn strips of paper, 
remembering that what matters here is TEXTURE not colour.


Step 5. Paint over your added lace/fabric/paper using white acrylic
 paint. Add several coats so it is nice & thick.  Push a few pieces of
 cheesecloth into the wet paint for even more texture.  Wait for
 everything to be thoroughly dry or dry off with your heat gun.


Step 6. Start applying your mists { I used yellow, orange & gold} & keep going
 until you are happy with the result.  The more you mist the more drips you get
 so add more if you like the 'drippy' effect.  If the colours appear too bright
you can blot off excess with a paper towel or dilute using a water spray.


Step 7.  Once dry, adhere some ephemera items for interest. Now adhere your
chosen embellishments (shells, wood, flowers, etc): adding more mists if desired.

(Gel Medium works great as a glue too as it dries clear  -
 I applied it in blobs then sprinkled small shells into them).  

Stamp randomly across your canvas.  Double check that you are happy with 
everything & you have completed your misting before finally attaching your photo.


Thank you Lisa!

So there you have it!!  Creating a canvas DEMISTIFIED!!!  Remember to leave
 some comment ♥ for dear Lisa & let us know if you have learnt something new today :)

Visit "The Paper Attic", Lisa's fabbo new blog full of more glorious inspiration!



16 comments:

Elaine coustley said...

I am wrapped in that canvas. So love the texture , you've made it look so easy I'll try it. I will be visiting your blog for sure. Thank you for the inspirational tutorial x

Sandi Smith said...

Stunning canvas Lisa..love it!!

Jona Panesa said...

so fabulous!!!! loved it!

Eila Sandberg said...

Ooooh WOWZER Lisa! this is just stunning! love love love really do all that yummie texture and beautiful detail. Glorious colours too! xoxo

Vicky Varvadouka said...

Great tutorial, I love the final outcome!! TFS!!!!xx

Unknown said...

wow this are sooo awesome tutotial Love it

Riikka Kovasin said...

Oh wow! Really beautiful and inspirational!

Lizzy Hill said...

MARVELLOUS step by step & wonderful inspiration...thank you soooo much for sharing:):):):)

juscrap said...

Gorgeous canvas!!! I love it!

Kim Ewins said...

Wow, Lisa!!!
Great tutorial, thank you for sharing :)

Val-Belle said...

Such a beautiful canvas... you make it look so easy but it isn't really. Or maybe it is just my personality type. I find it really hard to deal with the 'randomness' of it all... but I will continue to play till I get more comfortable. :D

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful project! Thanks for sharing the creative process!

Karen Shady said...

Brilliant Lisa.. thank you for sharing.. you canvas is stunning :)

Laura said...

Supper inspirational & the way you added sand dollars to your LO is really cool. The star fish really caught my eye along with flowers, starfish & great colors. Nice job & thanks for sharing your wonderful project.

dstandard said...

Gorgeous project!

Ava Gavloski said...

wow, this is magical, love the texture and all the elements to create a moving canvas